Search This Blog

Sunday 14 July 2019

Life Changing Discovery

My garage has been the subject of much comment ranging from 'Wow. that's what I call a real man-cave', through 'How can you ever find anything?' to 'What a tip'.

Truth is that for the past year or two it has had little attention but the tip has just got deeper.   I have known throughout that time that a day, or month, of reckoning would come when I would have to face up to clearing it all up.

In no small measure the feeling of guilt has deepened by repeated comments from daughter Lorna along the lines of 'Dad, when you do actually kick the bucket I shall have to clear all this lot up'.   She doesn't mince words our Lorna.    I remember once asking her advice on some problem of the day concerning her mother and how I might best broach a sensitive issue with her.  What solicitorial words should I use that would not provoke an unwanted reaction?  'Just f-----g tell 'er' was the pro bono advice I got.   I have used that advice often, always prefixed by the words 'On a just f-----g tell 'er basis' . . .   Works most times.

Anyway, that garage.  Among other things it was a trip hazard and I appreciate the potential involved in falling over.  I did a risk assessment, naturally.  That was easy.  The method statement was harder and took some time.

There was a financial dimension to it as well.  I was forever being unable to find stuff that I knew was there, failing to find, then going out and buying things.  At the end of it all I was poorer - and would end up with two or more to add to the long term problem.  The smaller the item being searched for, the more difficult it was to find, naturally.  It is hard to lose a lawnmower but a No.7 SDS masonry drill bit can hide away for eternity midst the chaos and camouflage.

The solution?  Parts Bins.



Cheap as chips and immensely satisfying to fill, as I have discovered these past couple of weeks, during which I have labeled and filled 72 of them.   Now, if I find a sudden need of a No.7 SDS masonry drill, I know where I can lay hands on half a dozen of them.

Today is Sunday, a day of Rest.   I may though just count, and photograph my staggeringly impressive  collection of screwdrivers.  Be warned.

Well, you were warned - here is my current part collection of 101 screwdrivers:
 

I'm talking here about proper screwdrivers - with handles, not mere bits which slot inside handles with hexagonal holes at their ends.  If we included those bits we would be into the thousands.  If inclined to count the screwdrivers in the picture be warned - it is confusingly hard given the unsystematic layout (my fault).   There is a further tranche of screwdrivers in the lift so that I have a set on every floor.

Sad or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.