Search This Blog

Monday 22 July 2019

Architects

That title is likely to ensure this is read by at least one Blog follower.  Architect Stuart Green and his erstwhile firm CSi of Hull have been doing a heroic job here - just as they did with the main tower steel and glass-work.   Here is a flashback:



Intricate and unforgivingly hard steelwork placed to the millimetre in an unforgivingly large stone opening in the tower's east end.

Stuart is not just a pencil and paper man - though he prefers those tools to computers, leaving that nowadays necessary stage to others.

I have been acutely aware that I am physically weaker than before my accident - and much more vulnerable.  I have been frustratingly unable to lend a hand.   Not though Stuart.

The other day as the steels were being assembled Stuart was pitching in with the rufty-tufty builders moving and positioning heavy components.  As a mere bystander all I could contribute was 
verbal encouragement.  During one lull in proceedings I remarked to the builders "I guess you don't often get an architect who rolls up his sleeves and gets his hands dirty do you?"

'That's true" came the reply, accompanied by what my father would have called an old-fashioned look.  "But we really like the ones that can do sums."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.