Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 August 2018

Sunshine from Down Under

This afternoon I was pottering.   That's a sort of general purpose word meaning busy doing nothing.   The nothing I was doing was recharging the battery of a car that hadn't turned a wheel since April so its battery was flat.   I am not blessed with eyes in my backside but I became aware of a presence behind me in The sidings, on the far side of our locked double gates.

"Is this your place?   Are you the min (sic) who was on George Clarke's progrimme?"

"Are you from the antipodes?" I enquired.

"Yis, New Zealand - and you are why I am here - to see this plice.   I've seen it on the tilivision and I love George Clarke".   (please forgive my rather generalised attempt at colonial pronunciation which on re-reading sounds rather too South Ifrican)

This was another of umpteen people who have come to Settle specially to see the tower and to travel on the railway.   She was Carol Bryant and she was doing a month long European tour, solo.

Pat came on the scene and was delighted to show Carol around - including the rooftop view.   I resumed my pottering.


A delightful interlude in my day.   And to answer the question that I know must have been troubling you.   It started.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.