Search This Blog

Sunday 9 February 2020

Is That Schuco?

We took delivery of the long awaited (our fault) sliding door/window for the main bedroom on Friday.  It will be fitted tomorrow, Monday, when we shall be fully and finally glazed and airtight.

The door was delivered by a three man team from Aire Valley Glass.  One of the men was older than the other two and he had tears in his eyes as he looked towards the south facing glazed screen wall of the original tower.  "Is that Schuco?" he asked.  I was bewildered and tempted to reply "No it's a water tower" but restrained myself.  He was meaning the actual glazing system of that screen wall. "Schuco!" he declared again. "That's Schuco glazing that is".

This was news to me but I was in no position to argue with him on that.  "If it is Schuco is that good or bad?" I asked.

"Good, good!" he exclaimed.  "The best!  You only see that on big posh buildings, skyscrapers and such" he said.

There we left it but I was intrigued so I later Googled Schuco and sure enough there it was - a very commercial glazing system indeed.  Hardly surprising perhaps having been supplied and fitted by 'Commercial' Systems International of Hull.  For completeness, Schuco has an umlaut over the u but Blogger and me don't do umlauts.  All that told me was that there is a Schuco glazing system out there but was ours Schuco?

Yesterday architect Stuart Green called round to see the near finished extension in all its glory so I asked him.  Was our glazing in that southern wall, roof room etc. Schuco?

It was.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.