Search This Blog

Monday 25 November 2019

Signed Off by The Neck Surgeon

Pat and I went again to the Royal Preston Hospital for a periodic neck x-ray and to see my brilliant neurosurgeon Mr Ansar.   To my surprise and delight Mr Ansar studied the x-ray and pronounced himself very pleased indeed at my recovery.

He said that I had suffered a particularly serious broken neck and it had mended exceptionally well on the evidence of that day's x-ray:


So much so, he signed me off!  Didn't need to see me again "But don't hesitate to get in touch if you have any trouble with it at all".

What an incredibly neat job he had done.   Titanium screws can be seen in vertebrae C3 and C4.  They secure titanium plates which reach up to the skull where they locate onto titanium hooks.   During the past 18 months bone has re-grown around the metal, in effect fusing C1 with C3 and C4, bridging the gap where C2 was.

Below is a nasty reminder of how my neck was on a CT  scan before Mr Ansar did his delicate, risky and superb job.


What can one possibly say to somebody who has undoubtedly saved ones life and limbs?   Mr Ansar is an exceptionally modest, almost self effacing man who is easily embarrassed by the profuse thanks that I and so many of his patients must give him.

Nonetheless, both Pat and I came away with the strong impression that Mr Ansar was quietly and modestly chuffed to bits with this piece of work.  He even smiled.  My attempt at adequate thanks was simply met with "It's my job".

Mr Ansar, Thank You.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.