Search This Blog

Tuesday 22 January 2019

Ian Dewhirst R.I.P.

Most Blog readers will be unaware of Dr Ian Dewhirst MBE whose death has been announced today.   Ian was a Yorkshire icon,   Former Keighley reference librarian, scholar, author and public speaker Ian was the most modest man imaginable.   Shy and self effacing he came alive in front of an audience.   Not in any pompous sort of way.   Just 100% engaging, warm and fascinating.   Local history was his thing but around that he was one of those people whose insights on life and the human condition in general meant he could capture any gathering and hold them spellbound.

He was accorded the ultimate in local recognition by having a Northern train named in his honour:

Here it is at York:


I shall always remember getting on a southbound 'Ian Dewhirst' propelled train at Carlisle.   Unremarkable in itself as the 'Ian Dewhirst' train is a familiar sight on the S&C.   But there on the train was the eponymous Ian sitting quietly on his own en-route back to Keighley after a speaking engagement.   I sat with him of course and we chatted all the way to Settle.   Naturally I asked him if he was aware he was travelling on 'his' train.   He did not know but was delighted to learn of the coincidence.   "I never look to see" he said in his typically modest way.

Ian and I have known each other for years.  Decades indeed.   Christmas would not be Christmas without a newsy card from Ian.   I have his last right here.   He had heard of my own near miss on the Keighley grapevine and sympathised.   He says he is suffering from arthritic knees - a problem when standing up giving talks 'which isn't doing me any good physically.'    

"But we have to keep doing what we can for as long as we can!"

 I shall remember that.

Thank you Ian for your friendship.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.