Search This Blog

Friday 8 July 2022

£11 a Gallon

 We live in troubled times.  That said, in my experience times are troubled most of the time.  The time moves inexorably forward but the troubles just change.  Right now, it's post-Brexit nothingness, post covid, rampant inflation, war in Ukraine and an overdue change of prime minister.

For the past few weeks I have been having s really good time avoiding more important chores restoring my 1953, so nearly seventy years old, Geest banana truck.  Not many have survived.  All the more reason to restore the one I have.  During all the urgent things to do with the water tower and its extension I have looked forward to having the time to do this job.  The Geest autotruck has never been a total success.  If it  ran its single front wheel just dug in to the gravel of our coal yard.  Most times it just wouldn't start.  Mildly disheartening but not now.

Well, it is now like a new er, Geest autotruck.  Possibly the most basic motorised vehicle ever.  Dating from 1953 according to its engine number and pronounced to be 'like new' by people who have worked on it I thought it worthy of my time.  Today, its restoration was finished.   Engine, gearbox brakes and steering restored.  All the rust removed and treated and woodwork replaced where necessary.

Painted to death in the correct factory colours by me and ace station painter Cliff Johnson:
























I have cared for, restored and loved several vehicles in my lifetime but none so thoroughly and therapeutically as this simple thing.

Today I tried to start it one satisfyingly final time - first pull - before putting it to bed under the new extension.  Nothing.  No start.  Despair.  My diagnostic brain accepted the challenge and, looking at the new fuel filter I saw it was empty.

Off to Settle garage to buy a gallon (OK 5 litres) of cheapest petrol.  Cost?  £11.17p.  A GALLON!











This, if not sorted out soon, will force a serious re-think for everybody.  Who knows, the Geest truck, plus trains and buses, may soon suffice for our transport needs.   Must see if I can get it road registered eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.