Search This Blog

Monday 17 May 2021

A Biblical Downpour

 Yesterday late afternoon, Sunday 16th, the sky to the east darkened to the extent that I took a photograph of it:


Nonetheless the sitting-out balcony in front of Terminal 3 looked inviting so I went up there to do the crossword in the sunshine.  There was no wind whatever.   Hardly had I sat down in the sunshine a couple of those enormous raindrops fell so I retired into the building, there to stay marooned for the next couple of hours!   The Heavens opened and a record breaking very local downpour fell.   Hail, rain, thunder, the lot.

Marooned?  Well yes.  I was wearing carpet slippers and the staircase access was soon covered in hail/ice.  Given my experience with stairs I decided to sit it out.  This shows the exceptional extent of hail settlement:


The armchair in front of the railings was where I was sitting in the sunshine before the storm came.

Turned out to be a record-breaking storm as this 'records' read-out from our weather station shows:


Columns, from the left are This month, This year and Since September 2011.   7.6 mm of rain in one minute!!

No flooding in the immediate vicinity but elsewhere in Settle there were indeed floods.   This was Settle by-pass at Gildersleets:












No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.