Search This Blog

Thursday 26 January 2017

Morritt Avenue

Quite a while ago I did a rather self indulgent blog posting about the houses in which I had lived:
http://settlestationwatertower.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/a-housing-journey-mark.html
Re-looking at it I realise I need to finish it but I shall spare you that for now.

It is always great to get feed-back to items on this Blog and frankly I did not expect that one to attract any but I was wrong.

The house that prompted comment was my childhood home of 7 Morritt Avenue in Halton, Leeds.

When built Morritt Avenue was quite a sight, sufficiently so that postcard images of it were made and presumably sold.   Present and long-time resident of Morritt Avenue Phil Driscoll has sent me some very newsy updates about Morritt Avenue's comings and goings included among which were early postcard images featuring number seven, no less:

click to enlarge (recommended)

As Victorian semis go Morritt Avenue's were magnificent - huge and ornate in the extreme.   Each pair was different - not hard to achieve with that amount of detailing.   Some succumbed to 'modernisation' over the years with cement rendering and so on but I am glad to report that some have been restored to their original appearance based on the evidence of pictures like these - and what is being rediscovered behind rendering and cladding.

Number 7 is the second semi on the right in the lower picture, part of the pair in the foreground.

Not only was Morritt Avenue as built a gated road, it was intended to be tree lined once the saplings matured.   There are no trees there now, nor during my time there in the 1950s and 60s.   Perhaps they fell victim when electricity arrived in the avenue and cables had to be laid?   Certainly number 7 was lit by gas when first built, evidenced by tiny pipes in what would nowadays be regarded as outrageously dangerous places.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Mark, thanks for posting this blog. My partner (Sarah) and I have just moved to Park View Terrace and we love the architecture Morritt Avenue. It seems like you have a lot of knowledge of the local history, and we were just wondering if you have any photos/knowledge of Park View Terrace in particular?
    Many thanks, Gareth & Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mark. Thank you for this. Just came across it when I was reminiscing about happy childhood days. Our family moved into Morritt Avenue around 1968. I can see it’s changed significantly at the bottom ie 28 29 and 30 of the Morritts. As children we recall many hours meandering in and out of a lot of the houses where we were welcomed and just left to play in the various gardens. We particularly loved the Tickners. May have misspelled this. Those houses seemed to have a life of their own. Different and unique. You’ve just made my day. Thank you again x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes and we remember the the Driscolls well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it’s not anon. It’s Kathy again

      Delete
    2. That was me again above ie not anon x

      Delete

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.