Search This Blog

Wednesday 30 December 2015

I Like Paella

This Christmas I took a very big risk.   I bought my darling wife a top of the range, induction hob friendly Paella pan.   Made in Spain with Spanish instructions translated into hilarious English but that's by the by (or should that be bye the bye?).

I also bought a Paella pan for our darling daughter and son-in-law.   Also risky as a present.

I compounded my crime by getting some paella rice and some saffron.   I wrapped them as mysterious presents.   Hints don't get much heavier.
-click to enlarge
-scratch screen for a whiff of the Mediterranean

Have to say that the hints went down better with daughter than with wife so I sought wise counsel from daughter.   Her legal advice was 'Leave it a few days'.   So I did.

Yesterday I could stand it no longer but how best to raise the matter?   

Then I caught sight of local supermarket Booths' Christmas catalogue in the kitchen.   Before I could take time to reflect I blurted out "I wonder if Booths sell frozen seafood?"   Subtle as a 3kg bagful of rice.

I got one of those looks which experienced husbands recognise on the instant.   The usual wisdom in cases like this is 'when in hole stop digging' but, unable to stand the silence, I filled it with "I could go along and see" which did little to improve things.   "If they do, I'll make it" I added pathetically.

That did at least provoke a response.   Eyes, rolled towards the kitchen ceiling and with teeth clenched my darling wife hissed "Wait 'til tomorrow evening".



That was yesterday.   Today is tomorrow.   I shall report further.    If I survive.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.