Search This Blog

Sunday 17 January 2021

That's a Relief

Back in May 2013 there was a post on this Blog where I made passing reference to having dug the first sod of the Bingley Relief Road. 

http://settlestationwatertower.blogspot.com/2013/05/we-have-arrived-in-settle.html

 This was met with some disbelief at the time.  It was front page news in the Bradford Telegraph and Argus back in 2001.  Believe me, you normally have to kill somebody to get on the front page of the T&A.  I knew I had the relevant cutting somewhere as evidence.  Well, yesterday I was sorting through loads of rubbish in the garage loft and I came across this:





















Why me digging the fist sod?  I was President of Bingley Civic Trust back then and the Civic Trust had campaigned for this hugely controversial road to be built on a route that would have to go right through the middle of the old town, there being no realistic alternatives.  There had been two public enquiries, the first of which had had to be abandoned because of disorder.  The second lasted for three months, chaired by a retired no-nonsense Admiral, Sir Stephen Berthon.  Pat had attended every single day and given evidence of the Civic Trust's surprising but highly significant stance.  The T&A had wanted her to pop along to the construction camp and to be photographed 'cutting the first sod'.  She had agreed to do a radio interview so I deputised.  She has still not forgiven me.  There was no ceremonial sod-cutting for fear of further disorder so the 'ceremony' was an ad-hoc affair by the T&A, using a shovel from Wickes.


Reminded me rather of that classic TV advertisement where an old man telephones a bookshop and asks if by any chance they had a copy of 'Fly Fishing' by J.R.Hartley.  The bookseller said that they had and that he would post it on.  "Can I have your name and address please?"

Ah yes says the old man. "Hartley.  J.R.Hartley"    Good old Yellow Pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.