Search This Blog

Friday 15 February 2019

Kipper

So sad to report here the death at 52 of Richard Kilburn - the Kilburn of our ace builders Kilburn and Johnson.   I shall always remember Richard telling me, in no uncertain terms "We don't need no project manager".   He was right too.

This Blog features quite a lot about Richard and his reluctance to be filmed.   So much so that I nicknamed him The Stig, after the unseen hero of TV motoring show Top Gear.   For many months the best picture I could get of Richard was his builder's backside.   Here is an example:

He eventually yielded to the inevitable and relaxed a little:



He even did a TV interview with Restoration Man George Clark but it wasn't used, probably much to Kipper's relief.

He was a hard taskmaster to his team though, insisting on the highest of standards always.   Apprentice Tim had what I imagine was Richard's own tough time of it when he started in the building trade.

I am glad I bothered to take this final picture of Richard (Kipper) Kilburn's brush:




Well, Kipper's funeral has taken place with a massive - indeed overflowing attendance at Settle church.   I was in the overflow in the church's entrance lobby where one could only hear occasional snatches of the words, despite the amplification system but I did hear the Water Tower and Restoration Man getting an honourable mention.   A right-good-do though.

- Spandau Ballet Through the Barricades
- And did those feet in ancient time
- Psalm 121
- Amazing grace
- Gerry and the Pacemakers You'll Never Walk Alone





No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.