Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 June 2015

Historic England

Had an impromptu visit today by three people from Historic England  - formerly English Heritage.   I happened to be outside and they were taking an obvious interest in the water tower so I invited them in.

English Heritage were the body so often invoked by local authority planners in combative mode when it came to Listed Buildings.   English Heritage were the ultimate authority who would be very cross indeed or would prosecute the pants off you for 'criminal offences' if you did naughty things with old buildings, in the planners' opinion.

In total contrast I have always found English Heritage / Historic England people to be friendly and helpful, dedicated but pragmatic realists.   I speak from hands-on experience of two grade 2 Listed Buildings and one Grade 1.

My day was made when I read what one of them had written in our visitors book:

"This has been the highlight of our day to see and meet Mark - whose approach is the kind that makes our job a pleasure!"




No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.