Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 July 2013

Stoke on Trent is a lovely place

Yesterday, taking time off from the truck, I did my usual Tuesday stint as volunteer On-Train-Guide on the 0950 from Settle / 1155 from Carlisle.   There was a coach party on the northbound train with reserved seats.   I gave them a commentary as it the norm on the S&C - possibly the only main line trains in the UK where you can get such a service.   We, the volunteers, aim to cover six trains a day.   Most people appreciate our efforts, which usually end with a round of applause, as was the case yesterday.

I always take the trouble to find out where the coach party is from and yesterday's was from Staffordshire - and a very appreciative group they were too.   I try to personalise my commentary to the group by referring to their part of the world.  One of my standard 'funnies' is to select a large town or city in the visitors' area and to say "For those people from Luton /  Birmingham /  Newcastle etc. those fluffy round things in the fields out there are called sheep".   This invariably results in howls of laughter but I go on to describe the awful events of 2001 when Upper Ribblesdale was badly affected by foot and mouth disease, resulting in the wholesale slaughter of the sheep, now re-populated.

As I was helping yesterday's group of mainly elderly people off the train one lady, fire in her eyes, collared me.   "What's wrung with Stawk-on-Trint?" she demanded to know.   She had not appreciated the joke.  I apologised if I had given offence and said that I had actually been on holiday to Stoke -on-Trent, on a canal boat.   She did not seem appeased.

See Trip Advisor and Knowhere for reviews of Stoke-on-Trent
If you have a very strong stomach see:
http://www.knowhere.co.uk/stoke_-_on_-_trent/staffordshire/midlands/info/worstthings

You can't win them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do please leave comments. If nothing else it shows that there is somebody out there.